San Francisco tour bus operator pleads no contest to DUI charge
SAN FRANCISCO – According to prosecutors, a driver of a double-decker tour bus who was driving under the influence in San Francisco last month has pleaded no contest to DUI charges on Tuesday. They also said that he will lose his commercial driver’s license for 1 year.
District attorney’s office spokesman Alex Bastian said 60-year-old Leon Maynard pleaded no contest to a charge of driving while intoxicated on Monday. His BAC level was equal to or above than 0.08 percent which is the legal limit for driving.
Prosecutors said that on 5th of July, Maynard was taken into custody near Stockton and Post streets around 1:15 p.m. while driving a San Francisco Deluxe Sightseeing tour bus. Police officers saw him “struggling to steer the bus while holding the microphone”. When police approached the bus, they saw 3 bottles of E&J Brandy. When he was taken into custody, his BAC level was 0.21 percent. He was charged for an open container infraction.
Bastian said Maynard was sentenced to 3 years’ probation, was ordered to spend 6 days in the sheriff’s work alternative program and participate for 6 months in a first offender program. His commercial driver’s license will also be suspended for 1 year.